Kathalaya setup a new publishing branch called “WeRead” to cater to the young adult and adult demography, publishing popular literature and youth oriented books. With the success of two earlier publications in these genres – motivational book “Take the Lead” / “अघि बढौँ” by Anil Chitrakar and novel for young adults “Monica: Pieces of Perfect” by Shiwani Neupane, Kathalaya introduced WeRead as an imprint in May of 2014 with its first title “विश्व टवान्टि-२० क्रीकेटका सारथिहरु” by Jagadishwor Pandey.
Kathalaya has released the first e-book reader application of Nepal – “WeRead app”. This Android and iOS based application is the first of its kind in the Nepalese market created to promote Nepali books, authors and publishers in and outside of Nepal. The app will feature books by Nepali writers and publishers in Nepali, English and other regional languages supported by the Devnagari script. WeRead app is currently available on Android and iOS platform based mobile devices and tabs. A special version for PCs and laptops to promote ‘e-library’ will be available in a couple of months. The app is developed by Vogue Nepal Studio.
As publishers, we feel it is important to recognize and expand the Nepali readership as best we can by promoting deserving writers and other publishers. WeRead app is an attempt to digitize Nepal’s literary works to make it accessible all over Nepal and the international market. This will also be the platform for publishers to make new releases instantly accessible to Nepali readers all over the world. We are certain that this effort will help Nepali literature grow and flourish beyond Nepal’s boundaries.
The app is available for mobile devices using the Android and iOS platforms. The following are some features of the app.
- Free application download.
- Featuring popular and newly released Nepali books and magazines.
- Application available on Android platform-based mobile devices and tabs.
- Application will soon be available for iOS platform-based mobile devices and tabs PCs and laptops.
- Purchase of books from anywhere around the world through easy and safe national and international payment gateways such as PayPal and eSewa (banks in future).
- Easy reading features such as adjustable font size, bookmarks and day/night modes.
- Book previews and writing book reviews.
- An online platform for selling, promoting and marketing books by upcoming authors and publishers.
- Publishers may upload their books on WeRead app on their own.
- Publishers can keep track of their book downloads online.
- Major book publishers from Nepal are in the process of becoming a part of WeRead app.
Kathalaya established in 2007 is focused in developing reading culture among children. It has provided its service to more than 2.5 million children in more than 8000 schools of Nepal. Kathalaya has grown from small organization and currently it has 40 regular and 30 additional indirect team working under its umbrella. It has published more than 300 titles locally and in partnership with International publishers. Kathalaya has been successfully acquired children titles right from renowned International publishers such as Scholastic, Usborn, Gyldendal, Hachet UK, Viking US and many more.
It has been working in developing reading culture, library establishment, children literature promotion as well as capacity building of authors, illustrators and editors. It has also started WeRead mobile app for Anroid and iOS to promote Nepalese book Worldwide. The team is working on Amazon Kindle device. It has started selling books in International platforms like Amazon and Kobo.